Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Food holiday!

This has nothing to do with our adventures in home-ownership, except for the fact that being away "on holiday" prevented any progress on the house for the past week....

We repeated our honeymoon in Jamaica last week, and it turned into a bit of a foodie adventure. :) I have been having serious problems remembering how to find food for myself after a week of fantastic food from the Couples staff!

One main reason for returning to Jamaica was that we were walking around in a bit of post-wedding haze two years ago (wow, has it really been almost 2 years?) and wanted to make sure that the resort wasn't a figment of our imaginations. It does exist. It really was that much fun the second time around.

At any rate, being the quasi-foodies that we are (I've always wondered if there is some sort of certification one must go through in order to officially call oneself a foodie?), we spent more time than I would like to admit trying to determine ingredients. We were again impressed by the quality and consistency (meaning good throughout our stay, not texture) of Couples's food, even on the buffets.

Who knew that so many interesting things could be made with pumpkins, beans, and jerk seasonings? I won't recap the entire week's worth of food adventures here, but of particular note: scotch bonnet ice cream (how did they do that!?), various chutneys and sauces, and mustard/cheese English muffins that I will try my best to recreate. I also found a pumpkin lasagna that almost had me jumping out of my seat to locate whomever was holding on to the recipe.

Aside from eating, we received a two-on-one tennis lesson with an amazing pro, and I became a scuba school drop out (while my husband found another hobby). We also met some interesting fellow guests with a variety of interests and opinions. I'm already feeling "homesick" and am actually having a hard time looking at pictures of the resort, knowing that some of last week's new friends are still there on vacation. :( I hope that the pouting (and the peeling sunburn) eases sometime soon. The fact that I am no longer in Jamaica really is a "situation".

No comments:

Post a Comment