Saturday, March 31, 2012

The things adults love...

I found myself laughing this week about the things we get excited about as adults. I was first made aware of my adult-home-stuff-dorkdom a few years ago. My aunt gave me a few kitchen towels as a birthday gift, and my cousin, who was in middle school at the time, thought that was one on the worst gifts she had ever seen. I, of course, was excited about my new towels.

This time around, it was a boy meets toilet kind of love story. When we decided to look for a house, one thing that my husband was most excited about was the possibility of owning an elongated toilet. I never quite understood the need for such a thing, but this may be another case of our one foot difference in height creating two very different sets of needs from everyday items. (Another example would be the day we tried to hang a mirror and found it hard to find a wall height which would allow for both of us to see ourselves without standing on tip-toe (me) or having to scrunch down (him). Perhaps this is a question that internet dating sites need to start asking - Can you see yourself in this mirror, at this height?)

Okay, back to the toilet. He bought his elongated toilet a few months ago, and it had taken up residence in our garage. Last weekend, my husband's dad (Mr. Tomato-Chocolate, Senior? Papa-Tomato-Chocolate? Not sure. I'll have to work on that one.) was in town, and toilet installation became Sunday afternoon's male bonding activity. Sawing, phone calls to a more home improvement-inclined brother, and eventual hammering ensued to remove the old toilet. In the end, the new elongated version was installed, with no leaks or injuries!

Since then, my husband has told me every day how much he loves the new toilet. I have to give him points for variety - one day he pointed out how it made the bathroom look bigger, the next he asked me to compare our next water bill to the previous to determine the water-saving capability of toilet 2.0, the next day it was how the color matched the other fixtures...

It does make me smile knowing that I am not the only person in our household who is fascinated by small things. That said, it may be time to move on to the next small yet significant house-related project.

1 comment:

  1. I truly appreciate this post. I marvel at my new rug in the basement daily and am truly satisfied with the all a simple rug has to offer.

    ReplyDelete