Friday, December 28, 2012

Lost in magazineland

I saw my cousin's wife over the holidays, and she said, "hey, I haven't read your blog in a while." First, I was surprised and excited that she had read my random ramblings. Then I said, "that's okay, I haven't written anything in a while". Thanks....I'll take that as a hint. :)

I was hoping that I would be able to tackle a few long-awaited organization projects during "winter break", but it is already Friday and all I have managed to do is add to my list. Today's addition is trying to find a way to catalog magazine articles, particularly recipes.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a magazine junkie; at one point this fall I was getting four food-related magazines. Two I paid for, one came from my boss who mysteriously had a second copy of Bon Appetit showing up at her house, and one was a trial subscription that I had inadvertently signed up for at a meeting planning event. Nice. Apparently my love of magazine is hereditary. My brother-in-law has commented a few times now that there always has to be magazine swapping time when my sister goes home to see my mother. I second that motion. I would be very disappointed if I arrived at my mom's house and didn't have any new magazines to read. This time it was a few back issues of New Jersey monthly and Southern Living. I'm not sure how those two publications can sit in the same magazine rack without a fight breaking out, but it seems to work.

At any rate, I am looking for a way to tag my magazines. Short of scanning entire editions, I guess I can go low tech. One giant word file? I guess. Honestly, I guess it just needs to be searchable. The only decision I guess is how far back to go with my filing. Does anyone else have this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment