Saturday, April 9, 2011

Can't Help Myself

Does the world really need another blog about a house and the humans who live in it? Perhaps not. The thing is, I do. There are ton a DIY/home improvement/decorating sites out there, but none of them include any of my ideas. This is a place to store ideas and memories of our new adventure in home-ownership.

We closed on our house on March 23rd and moved in April 1st-3rd, and the fact that we actually have a home of our own still a bit of a surprise to me. My anti-house-buying husband put up a bit of a challenge, although I don't think either of us recognized it at the time. He was always against buying, although he eventually disclosed enough information to provide me with a mental picture of a home he would consider. After only about a month of "active" house-hunting, I found a house that made him stop and take notice. Our house is "us", as best as we can probably visually define us at this point in our lives.

And then there's me. Did I mention that this was a big deal? I've always been frugal and have been saving for a house longer than I'd like to admit (although non-profit employement and paying for grad school the past couple of years has made things a little interesting in the savings department). I've been squirreling money away in drawers, boxes, and bank accounts since I was somewhere in the neighborhood of age eight; when packing up our rental, I discovered that I still have my tooth fairy money (packaged all together mind you), because I could never bring myself to spend it. You never know when you may need a few silver dollars.

This is to be a journal of our lives in our new house, along with all of the related joys and pains of home-ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment