Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lingering scents

When we first visited our house, it was February and therefore cold outside. There was this wood fire smell in the house, which I found a little odd, seeing as how the fireplace is gas. Whatever the origin, this made the house feel welcoming, and at some point after we had moved in, I made the association between the fireplace smell and the man who previously owned our house (no names here, just in case someone actually reads this!).

Throughout the spring, I would occasionally smell this while walking through the house, and it made me smile, knowing that he had left a little piece of himself with the house. It had been a while since I had noticed the fireplace smell, which I had attributed to the fact that there hasn't been a need for a fire here in Maryland for several months. This evening; however, the smell was back and I was reminded of our first tour of the house and of meeting the previous owners for the first time.

Ironically, there is also this potpourri-ish scent that I sometimes detect in our bedroom. We have a second vanity next to our closet, (sounds odd, but it works - this is actually one of my favorite features of the house - there is no fighting over the bathroom sink when we're trying to get ready at the same time in the morning) and on occasion I get a quick waft of this scent near there. I have no idea what causes this, but again this makes me smile. It's as if the former female owner is with us too.

I think this would be disturbing if they led unhappy lives in the house. Fortunately, they seemed to enjoy the house and each other's company, so I welcome these small "visits". I hope we can add our own memories to those that seem to linger from the previous owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment